The Pilot's House / by Justin Hannaford

This distinctive Pilot's House has stood in Torekov, western Sweden, since 1878. The pilot would sit in this house, over-looking the sea, waiting to assist boats navigate the dangerous waters near the island of Halland Väderö. During daylight hours, stricken boats would use flags to alert the pilot; at night, blinking lights were used. When the pilot received these messages, he would alert the rescue boat stationed nearby who would then head out to sea to help those in danger. Operations at the Pilot's House ceased in the mid 1930's, and nowadays it is a museum and artist's studio.

Torekov, Sweden, 2016

Torekov, Sweden, 2016